Bollywood Hindi Movie, Music - News, Review, Interviews and Celebrity wallpapers
An ode to the institution of teachers through the Hindi films
Enkayaar, Bollywood Trade News Network
Had Kedar Sharma not slapped Raj Kapoor when he was making AAH, Raj Kapoor would not have attained the cult status, and he used to acknowledge the same through out his life. The music industry has had legendary teacher-taught examples, and while Hollywood continues to bestow attention to this genre on a regular basis, the same attention is not bestowed in the same quantum by the Hindi film industry. Even then, there are certain films that have brought out this relationship in a forceful manner.
1. HALLA BOL: Here was a film where a teacher to the end was committed to the cause of his students, withdrawing when the student, went astray from his path of teaching, but jumping into fire when the student repented his action. Pankaj Kapoor announced his comeback in a big way through this film.
2. JIGAR: It is indeed interesting that when established actors have made their comebacks in most of the cases it has been a power-packed role as a mentor, same was the case in this film, where Ajit had one of his best performances. It interestingly was another Ajay Devgan film.
3. GURU: Mithun Chakraborthy returning to mainstream Hindi film after a long time as a mentor turned foe, when the protégée decided to go against his teaching and guidance and Mithun was back to his forte.
4. MOHABBATEIN: A clash of titanic proportions between ideology and effervescence, between ideals and romanticism and it was one of the better films where histrionics of Shah Rukh Khan and Amitabh Bachchan were nearly on an even keel. For Yash Chopra to be able to strike a balance between these two titans was the crowning glory for the film.
5. PADOSAN: It is difficult to find a guru like Kishore Kumar who could go whole hog to any extent to bring a smile on the face of his student Sunil Dutt, and to attain this was even ready to forego his profession.
6. MERA NAAM JOKER: Here was another film where the student Raj Kapoor paid tribute to all his teachers who had played different roles in his life starting from his school times and underlined the importance of a teacher even though his influence may have been momentary but profound.
7. SIR: Mahesh Bhatt's significant milestone, gave a new lease of life to Naseerudin Shah's career through a powerhouse of performance as a teacher who was ready to sacrifice even his family to save his student Pooja Bhatt as he had taken a vow to protect her at any cost.
8. MAIN HOON NA: Sushmita Sen as a teacher with oodles of oomph and chutzpah gave a new dimension to the manner in which lady teachers have been portrayed in Hindi films. The film, though took pot shot at teachers teaching in Hindi as well.
9. BLACK: It was probably the only film of its kind made in Hindi where a teacher, Amitabh Bachchan took it upon himself to bring sanity into the life of a blind student, and in his quest to bring normalcy in his student's life he himself goes senile. The student, Rani Mukerjee then takes it upon herself to cure her teacher, as a sort of redemptive measure for the pains that her teacher had taken for her.