SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON was not meant for film fests, says Faiza
June 18, 2012 06:01:10 PM IST
By Rachana Sheth, Glamsham Editorial
Director Faiza Ahmad Khan's documentary SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON, which traces the making of a small time film MALEGAON KA SUPERMAN and also celebrates the film industry of Malegaon, has won several awards and accolades at numerous coveted film festivals.
However, the film was not meant to traverse to film fests. As Faiza had some other plans for her documentary. The entire idea was to have SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON aired on a Singapore's TV Channel.
Faiza reveals, "We never planned and we didn't want to send SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON to film festivals. It was never meant that way. It was basically made for a TV channel in Singapore. But as luck would have it, our film got spotted by a France film critic and he passed the film to one of Italy's film festival and won its first award. Thereafter, there was no looking back. From one festival we travelled to another and that's how the documentary became popular at myriad film festivals. Everything happened organically!"
CHECK OUT: Faiza remembers MALEGAON lead actor Shafique
Ask Faiza what makes her much talked about documentary so appealing and she proudly replies, "SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON is very universal in its appeal. It's a story of an underdog, fighting and striving against all odds coming in his way."
After doing the film festival circuit for four years, Faiza's documentary will finally see the light of the day. PVR releases the film in India on June 29, 2012. And Faiza just can't contain her excitement.
"PVR saw the film some two years ago and they wanted to release it at that time only but it took time in finalizing certain things. Nevertheless, I am quite thrilled that our documentary is releasing finally and getting a huge theatrical release," says an elated Faiza.
Though the documentary is up for screening, the film MALEGAON KA SUPERMAN made by Malegaon people (Shaikh Nasir and his team) is yet to release there. However, people in Malegaon travelled all the way to Delhi to showcase it in a film festival.
Faiza wishes to hold a special screening of her documentary in Malegaon. "We will have screening for people in Malegaon," says Faiza.
CHECK OUT: Meet Malegaon's Superman Shafique Shaikh
Awards won by SUPERMEN OF MALEGAON
- Jury Award for Best Documentary at Asiatica Film Mediale, Rome
- Jury Award for Best Documentary at Kara Film Festival, Pakistan
- Best Debut Film at Film South Asia, Nepal
- Best Editing, Documentary and Director at the Asian Festival of First Films, Singapore
- Best Editing at the Asian TV Awards, Singapore
- Audience Choice Award for Documentary, Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles (IFFLA)
- Golden Camera Award for Best Documentary, US International Film and Video Festival
- Gold Awards for Editing and Best Documentary and a Silver Award for Sound Design, Indian Documentary Producers Association
- Best Documentary at Bollywood and Beyond, Stuttgart
- Youth Choice Award at Vesoul Asian Film Festival.
- Special Mention at Best Film Festival, Romania