Bollywood Trade News Network
Prolific Filmmaker Shyam Benegal’s first ever comedy WELCOME TO SAJJANPUR is all set to hit the screens on 19th September. Produced by Ronnie Screwvala and directed by Shyam Benegal, the film stars Shreyas Talpade, Amrita Rao and Ravi Kissen primarily.
The film is presented by UTV SPOT BOY, UTV’s newly designed banner. Earlier the film was titled as MAHADEV KA SAJJANPUR. It is heard that it was actor Shreyas Talpade who insisted Shyam to change the title to WELCOME TO SAJJANPUR.
WELCOME TO SAJJANPUR is an unusual mix of a satire and a romantic comedy set in rural India.
The music of the film has been composed by Shantanu Moitra and lyrics inked by Swanand Kikire and Ashok Mishra.
Mahadev is one of the few educated young men from Sajjanpur. His ambition is to be a novelist but finds it easier to make a living by writing letters sitting next to the post office. His ability to write persuasive letters makes him popular with the largely non-literate population of the town. Aware of this power, he soon uses his talent to manipulate people with amusing and sometimes not such amusing results.
With this as the narrative frame, Welcome to Sajjanpur shows in an entertaining, musical and comic way, characters and events that are at once hilarious and poignant. A delightful satirical take on a contemporary Indian village.
1) Shreyas Talpade - A young graduate from Sajjanpur Village who lives with his widowed mother. She has a vegetable stall outside their house. His ambition is to write novels but is compelled to make a living as a latter writer. Romantic by inclination, witty and charming, his imaginative turn of phrase makes him a popular letter writer. An incident in his childhood appears to be the reason for his bachelorhood. Meeting Kamala, a childhhod sweetheart rekindles the love he had for her. In his fantasies he sings and dances with her like a contemprorary film hero.
2) Amrita Rao - Pretty and endearingly innocent, Kamala belongs to a family of potters. She lives with her Mother-in-law. Her husband works in Mumbai having left soon after marriage. Kamala was a classmate of Mahadev in primary school before she was suddenly taken out of school for unstated reasons. This has left her unlettered.
3) RaviKishan - He is the dandy of the village. Works in the local health centre and is forced to treat patients. Even though he has very little knowledge of medicine. The doctor is frequently absent. Ramkumar is in love with the young widow Shobna Rani.
4) Rajeshwari Sachdev - Youthful and attractive, Shobna Rani was widowed in childhood. She lives with her Father-in-law Subedar Singh.
5) Yashpal Sharma - Ramsingh, the illiterate Ex-Sarpanch of Sajjanpur. His present focus is on trying to make his wife Jamuna Devi, the sarpanch of the Village. Arrogant and shrewd, he believes in muscle power to get things done.
6) Divya Dutta - Young and educated, Vindhya is a no-nonsense girl and quite out of place in conservative Sajjanpur.
7) Ila Arun - Mausi is Melodramatic, superstitious and silly given to hysterical excesses.
8) Subedar Singh - A retired military man. Eccentric and stern, but honest and straight forward.
9) Munnibai - A eunuch who wishes to contest the elections against Ramsingh’s wife Jamuna Devi. She is popular with the people because of her music, dance and general good humour.
More about Welcome To Sajjanpur
- Movie Stills