‘Celebrating Cinema’, a unique annual initiative of Whistling Woods International in its third year is poised to be bigger and better than ever. This year, along with looking back at a glorious past; Whistling Woods International looks ahead to provide access to all film lovers and enthusiasts to the complex process of filmmaking. On May 17th and 18th 2014, Whistling Woods International will present ‘Celebrating Cinema’, a two-day extravaganza that will explore and exploit the growth of Indian cinema.
A special treat for cinema enthusiasts, Celebrating Cinema will feature celebrity panel discussions, free interactive workshops, a visual journey of rare exhibits, posters and artifacts, special screening of award winning student films and a musical grand finale on each day. Special highlights of this year’s festival include:
- Opening by industry stalwarts Rekha Ji, followed by special tribute to six National award winner and versatile filmmaker Balu Mahendra with the screening of award-winning movie penned by him – Sadma
- Other activities include Master class with Amole Gupte on his most recent film HAWAA HAWAAI
- Film Appreciation & Dance workshops for under-priviledged children from NGOs such as Salam Baalak Trust
- Panel on Socially responsible Filmmaking
- Panel on ‘Women in Cinema’
- Panel on ‘Cinema 2020’
- Music Panel with well-known Music composers & singers including veteran singer Kumar Sanu.
- There will be one-on-one discussions with Actress Manisha Koirala moderated by veteran journalist Bhawana Somaya.
- Special screening of documentary made on 100 years of Indian cinema by Trisha Screwvala from Disney – UTV
- Workshops on – Still Photography, Song Picturization, Mobile Film Making, VFX in Films , Stop-motion Filmmaking, 3D Stereoscopic Filmmaking, TV Broadcasting & Anchoring, Screenwriting, Music Mixing, Bollywood Dance & Movement, Advertising, Fashion Styling & Makeup and many more…
- Installations and exhibits
Chhota Bheem workshop with kids
TV Broadcasting & News Anchoring
Panel – Socially responsible filmmaking
Body Movement with Terrence Lewis Dance Academy
Tribute to Balu Mahendra followed by screening of SADMA
Bharat & Doris Make-Up Demo & Workshop
Sound – Digital Surround Film Mix
Panel – Cinema 2020
3D Stereoscopic Filmmaking
Panel – Women
Acting for Screen
Still Photography + Brief
Fashion – MakeUp by Bharat & Dorris
Stop Motion Filmmaking
”We, at Whistling Woods International have always wanted to create an avenue whereby we are able to provide access to the realities of the filmmaking process to the common film lover and enthusiast. Further, we have always wanted that the vast campus & high-tech infrastructure we have built, the uniquely hands-on curriculum and the laudable faculty, guest & visiting faculty body that we have put together is accessible to film lovers & enthusiasts,” says Subhash Ghai, Filmmaker and Educationist.
Ms. Meghna Ghai-Puri, President – Whistling Woods International, said, ”Whistling Woods International is one of the first institutions to commence the centenary celebrations of Indian Cinema. This Festival is completely organized by our Students & Faculty and they are enthusiastic about sharing the opportunities they have with others through ‘Celebrate Cinema’. It is an amazing opportunity for students, film enthusiasts and children to interact with renowned names from the film and entertainment industry through panel discussions, workshops, exhibitions, movies screenings and participate in iconic performances.”
In the lasy two years the festival has seen industry legends like A. R. Rahman, Gulzar, Javed Akhtar, Salim Khan, Shabana Azmi, Hema Malini, Sukhwinder Singh, Randhir Kapoor, Saroj Khan, Jackie Shroff, Kiran Shantaram, Rinki Roy Bhattacharya (Bimal Roy’s daughter), Rakeysh Mehra, Arjun Kapoor, Parineeti Chopra, Amole Gupte, Zoya Akhtar, Gauri Shinde, Dibaker Banerjee, Govind Nihilani, CK Muralidharan, Rajeev Masand, Rohit Shetty, R. Balki, Habib Faisal, Khalid Mohammed, Dia Mirza, Dhanush, Rohit Roy, Mansi Joshi Roy, Isha Sharvani, and Anu Malik among others.