A look into the filmography of Vidya Balan and you realize that she has been one rare lucky actor to have done maximum number of female-oriented films or the roles which portrayed woman in a different light! PARINEETA, PAA, ISHQIYA, NO ONE KILLED JESSICA, THE DIRTY PICTURE, KAHAANI, etc are some of the films where Vidya stunned us with her strong female characters!
|download BOBBY JASOOS wallpapers|
Bring this to Vidya’s notice and she gets excited, ‘I think it’s a trend. Writers are writing interesting scripts for female actors. Today people are investing more with the kind of success these films have seen. Having said that, still 95% of films are stereotypical in representing women on-screen. But I am happy that I am part of the remaining 5%…’
”I have definitely done those films and the actor gets most of the credit because it’s a visual medium. We actors benefit a lot. But the real credit goes to those who wrote the films, who directed it. All I did is I just went ahead and did those films. The time was ripe and I entered in at the right time with right kind of films like PARINEETI, which you call an unconventional debut of sorts,” she adds in the same vein.
But with what gut feeling she goes ahead and selects the scripts? Was it her strategy to create a niche in the male-dominated market?
‘It’s not that I decided to be different but I always responded to the scripts instinctively. When I started out, there weren’t the kind of films that we are making today. But within the given scope I tried to choose something different with each character that I haven’t done before. As I am kind of a person who gets bored very easily, if there’s nothing new to offer. I can’t repeat myself. As an actor I am getting to play different roles, whether women-centric films or otherwise I am lapping it up. Amongst women centric films I think exciting work is happening now,’ Vidya gets candid.
Vidya says the portrayal of women has changed drastically on-screen. She is no more a sacrificial figure and her upcoming film BOBBY JASOOS tries to showcase the same.
‘Gone are the days when the women were loved for their sacrificial, always loving & unconditionally giving characters. Now the times are when a woman, who cares about herself is liked the most. And that is how Bobby, my character, is. She comes from a modest family in Hyderabad. She may not be rebellious but she is steadfast in going out and doing things in her way. She chases her interest and is very zindadil kind of a character,’ says the no-nonsense actress.
Also starring Ali Fazal, produced by Dia Mirza and Sahil Sangha’s Born Free Entertainment, BOBBY JASOOS is all set to hit the screens on July 4, 2014.