What makes the ‘Chandni’ of Bollywood Sridevi stand apart
Sridevi’s untimely demise is certainly a big shock to the film fraternity and even fans. And why not? after all Sridevi was one such rare phenomena who shined through and through her career spanning five decades.
The kind of stature, feat she achieved, perhaps, nobody could be at par with her so far, as she fondly enjoyed the status of the first female superstar in the male-dominated & chauvinist industry. While today we talk about equality & actresses getting equal remuneration & prominence, but Sridevi could command right from the initial years of career way back in 70s, 80s & 90s. Her popularity has been and is matchless. Even as she left for the heavenly abode, Sridevi created a huge vacuum in the industry. And what made her stand apart from others is what we will look here as to why she was unique than her contemporaries or even the next-gen bunch of aspiring actors.
1) Where actresses vie for attention or strive hard to make a mark in Bollywood, Sridevi was pan India superstar, who had a foothold in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi film industry as well. From south to north, she swayed the hearts of the fans across the country.
2) Where actresses today dig for opportunities to be paired with superstars or being part of a starry affair, Sridevi, from being no one to being a huge star, did it all by herself. The pretty actress didn’t require top notch names to claim her fame.
3) Actors usually prefer being in their comfort zone and performing what they are best at. But Sridevi was pro at any given genre or role comedy, romance, action, drama, tragedy. She pulled off any act with equal panache, thereby becoming an all-rounder
4) Sridevi embarked her acting career right from the tender age of four, when you hardly even understand your senses. But, despite not being a trained actor or taking formal training, she became filmmakers’ favourite. She was an actor par excellence, whom every other actress idolised. Even superstars Aamir Khan, her then rivalry Madhuri Dixit, Amitabh Bachchan, etc were a huge fan of her work.
5) Besides being the most gorgeous actress around, Sridevi even enchanted with her dancing skills. Her moves and grooves, her sensuous ‘adayein’, the stoic innocence of her twinkling eyes and her bubbly image had a different charm, which made her a lively immortal figure. Her presence on celluloid was commendable
6) Sridevi worked with the biggest of the names and stalwarts of Indian Cinema. Where actors strive to even share a single frame the icons, Sridevi worked along with the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan, Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Akshay Kumar, Jeetendra, Mithun Chakraborthy, Anil Kapoor, and many more.
7) Where biggest of the stars failed to make a successful comeback, Sridevi both the comeback films ENGLISH VINGLISH and MOM became huge hits.
8) Girls & women loved to follow Sridevi’s style of dressing. Her outfits & look in CHANDNI was a desire for every dreamy-eyed girl to look so gorgeous. She was the fashion icon not only in films but even off screen her fashion sense was fabulous.
9) Touted as the first female superstar, Sridevi could ride the films on her shoulders single-handedly. In fact despite the presence of superstars she could steal their thunder with her oodles of talent