‘Godzilla vs Kong’ likely to go for digital release

'Godzilla vs Kong' is likely to be the latest big franchise movie to head to a streamer.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘Godzilla vs Kong’ is likely to be the latest big franchise movie to head to a streamer.

The forthcoming monster movie from Legendary Pictures might reportedly head to a streaming service due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, according to Deadline.

Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that Netflix has offered over USD 200 million for ‘Godzilla vs Kong’. But WarnerMedia, whose Warner Bros Studio has a stake in the film, reportedly declined the deal and is preparing its own offer for its streamer, HBO Max.

ADVERTISEMENT

Legendary Pictures, the production company behind the monster movie, reportedly declined to comment to the publication, while a spokesperson for Warner Bros said: “We plan to release Godzilla vs. Kong theatrically next year as scheduled.”

Legendary Pictures has financed 75% of the film’s budget and continues to carry the heavy costs of an unreleased big-budget film. Meanwhile, Warner Bros holds the remaining 25% stake and controls the movie’s release, reports THR.

Netflix does not have a presence in China, which means the film could possibly be released theatrically there.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘Godzilla vs Kong’ is the fourth installment in the monsterverse series by Legendary Pictures and is scheduled to release on May 21, 2021.

So far it is still unclear if US theatres will be fully operational by then and even if they are, the studios already have a catalogue of major releases that were postponed due to the global crisis.

Legendary Pictures reportedly kicked off the monsterverse with 2014’s ‘Godzilla’ which rebooted the franchise featuring the Japanese nuclear-created lizard and was a

ADVERTISEMENT

huge box office hit grossing $514 million overall. The studio then re-introduced King Kong to audiences with 2017’s ‘Kong: Skull Island’. The last entry to the franchise was ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters,’ which released last year.

Directed by Adam Wingard, ‘Godzilla vs Kong’ will be a follow up to 2019’s ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters.’ The film stars Millie Bobby Brown, Alexander Skarsgard, Rebecca Hall, and Kyle Chandler in the lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

LATEST UPDATES

ADVERTISEMENT