Birmingham, July 29 (IANS) India cruised to a 5-0 win against Pakistan in the badminton mixed team event while the men’s and women’s table tennis teams, the Indian women’s hockey team and boxer Shiva Thapa made a good start at the Commonwealth Games here on Friday.
However, the women’s cricket team led by Harmanpreet Kaur crashed to a defeat against Australia on the first day of CWG 2022.
Here is India’s first day at Birmingham Commonwealth Games:
• Adarsh finished 30th and Vishwanath finished 33rd in men’s category TV.
• Praganya and Sanjana finished 26th and 28th respectively.
• Women’s team won their first two group matches (1st match against South Africa 3-0 and second match against Fiji 3-0).
• Men’s team won their first group match against Barbados 3-0.
• Men’s team will face Singapore in the second group stage match at 11:00 PM tonight.
• Shiva Thapa defeated Baloch Suleman in the first match of 63.5 kg men’s boxing (5:0, Unanimous decision).
• Sajan Prakash (50 m Butterfly) failed to qualify for the semi-finals and Kushagra Rawat (400 m freestyle) failed to qualify for the finals.
• Srihari Nataraj (100 m backstroke) will compete in semi-finals scheduled at 1.20 am, on 30th July.
• Women’s sprint team failed to qualify for the semi-finals, team India finished 7 in the qualification round with a timing of 51.433 for Women’s team sprint.
• Men’s pursuit team finished last in the qualification round with a timing of 4:12.865.
• In the men’s team sprint India finished 6th in the qualification round, failing to secure the semi-final slot for the same.
• In women’s Cricket, India lost to Australia in their first group stage match by three wickets. India scored 154 runs in 20 overs for the loss of 8 wickets, India will face Pakistan in their second group match on July 31.
• Women’s team started with a dominant performance over Ghana (ranked 30th), defeating Ghana with a big margin 5-0.
• India will go against Australia and New Zealand in their next group stage matches.
• In lawn bowls Tania lost her first match in women’s single sectional play against Daphne of Falkland Islands (Score 20-21).
• In Men’s team event India lost to Scotland in men’s triple sectional play (Score 12-19).
• India dominated Pakistan in the Mixed Team event winning all 5 matches.